Oakland School is a small co-ed boarding and day school that enables bright children who benefit from a small class size and individualized program to reach their academic and personal potential. Oakland’s mission is three-fold:
- To provide students with the tools to learn
- To instill in students the confidence required to reach their academic and personal potential, and ultimately
- To enable students to successfully transition to a traditional classroom at their appropriate grade level
- Boys and Girls ages 6-13 at admission.
- Average to above-average intelligence.
- Students with learning differences, particularly language based learning disabilities, ADHD or organizational difficulties may be appropriate for the program.
- Students are enrolled at Oakland for an average of 2-4 years.
- Oakland is not appropriate for children with behavior, conduct or severe emotional disorders.
- A very special, success-oriented environment featuring a beautiful country setting, a home-like atmosphere and a dedicated, nurturing staff that make this boarding and day school an exceptional place
- 450-acre grounds, the centerpiece of which is the pre-Revolutionary “Big House,” surrounded by a series of school buildings including the historic Old Kitchen
- Fully-equipped gym and recreation building
- Structured athletic and recreational program
- Intramural and team sports
- Access to rich cultural activities in nearby Charlottesville, home of the University of Virginia
- Strong, year-round horseback riding program offered at no additional cost
- Character development emphasis throughout the academic, recreational and residential program to instill in students the pillars of character including responsibility, respect, caring, trustworthiness, fairness and citizenship (Character Counts (R))
- Supervised evening study halls
Oakland School is accredited by the Virginia Association of Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF). Teachers are licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.