Oakland School is a small co-ed boarding and day school that enables bright children who benefit from a small class size and individualized program to reach their academic and personal potential. Oakland’s mission is three-fold:
1. To provide students with the tools to learn
2. To instill in students the confidence required to reach their academic and personal potential, and ultimately
3. To enable students to successfully transition to a traditional classroom at their appropriate grade level
- Boys and Girls ages 6-13 at admission.
- Average to above-average intelligence.
- Students with learning differences, particularly language based learning disabilities, ADHD or organizational difficulties may be appropriate for the program.
- Students are enrolled at Oakland for an average of 2-4 years.
- Oakland is not appropriate for children with behavior, conduct or severe emotional disorders.
- A very special, success-oriented environment featuring a beautiful country setting, a home-like atmosphere and a dedicated, nurturing staff that make this boarding and day school an exceptional place
- 450-acre grounds, the centerpiece of which is the pre-Revolutionary “Big House,” surrounded by a series of school buildings including the historic Old Kitchen
- Fully-equipped gym and recreation building
- Structured athletic and recreational program
- Intramural and team sports
- Access to rich cultural activities in nearby Charlottesville, home of the University of Virginia
- Strong, year-round horseback riding program offered at no additional cost
- Character development emphasis throughout the academic, recreational and residential program to instill in students the pillars of character including responsibility, respect, caring, trustworthiness, fairness and citizenship (Character Counts (R))
- Supervised evening study halls
Oakland School is accredited by the Virginia Association of Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF). Teachers are licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.